The Library Reserves collection is a separate, limited loan collection of high demand materials. Reserve materials are listed online by instructor name and course codes.
Instructors can place items on reserve on a term-by-term basis. The Library does not buy textbooks or required reading, but will purchase supplemental reading on request and within budget limitations. Textbooks and required readings may be loaned to the Library for reserve purposes - see Personal Copies below.
Loan periods are 3 hours, 1 day, 3 days, or 7 days. Faculty determine demand and suggest an appropriate loan period for reserve materials; loan period should be determined by curriculum timelines, number of copies available, and length of the reading.
Placing Reserve Requests
If an item to be placed on reserve is already in the Library's collection complete the online Reserve Request form or print and submit a fully completed Course Reserve Request Form (PDF) to Library Reserves.
- Library copies that are on loan will be recalled and placed on reserve for you
The Library cannot accept responsibility for lost or damaged personal copies.
- Review or sample copies will not be placed on reserve
- Personal and departmental copies will be processed with a label and barcode
Photocopied materials such as journal articles and book chapters may be placed on reserve with some restrictions:
- Copies of journal articles may be placed on reserve provided they are not accessible through one of the databases that the library subscribes to
- Copies of book chapters may be placed on reserve provided that the copies do not exceed 10% or one chapter of a copyrighted book (multiple chapters from one book will not be processed)
Purchase requests can be made by submitting a completed Course Reserve Request Form (PDF) to Library Reserves. Before submitting a purchase request, check the library catalogue for existing copies before placing orders for new reserve materials.
- Requests should be submitted at least 3 months before the course begins
- Forms do not require the signature of your departmental coordinator
- The Library does not purchase material which students are expected to buy
Copyright law and licensing agreements can affect the eligibility of copies to be placed on reserve. Please familiarize yourself with the requirements by reviewing the Library's Copyright guide.
For clarification on procedure, please contact the library at local 4944 or by email.